LEGENDARY bowler Derek Underwood was on hand for the unveiling of Capel CC’s refurbished pavilion at Five Oak Green.
The Kent and England left-arm bowler, nicknamed ‘Deadly’, was among a throng of spectators which included the outgoing Tunbridge Wells Mayor David Neve, Mayoress Jill Neve and the town’s Tory parliamentary candidate Greg Clark.
The opening saw a match played between Capel and Douglas Jardine’s XI which the visitors, captained by Reza Maroof, won with ease.
The club was founded in 1892 and has always played at Five Oak Green recreation ground.
It folded in 1972 because the club was struggling to get a team out.
But Capel CC reformed in 2011 and the Tom Tolhurst Pavilion, which was originally built in the 1930s, was renovated by players and supporters.
However, it still had no changing rooms or toilets and players had to use the nearby village hall.
But over the past year it has been extended – again by the members – to provide these facilities, along with a verandah and bar.