Survey reveals most expensive addresses and top postcodes in the area
Villages surrounding Tunbridge Wells are giving the town a run for its money when it comes to house prices. That’s just one of the fascinating facts to emerge from our survey of the Richest Roads in the borough.
Although the top three Richest Roads are in Tunbridge Wells itself, six of the top 10 most expensive hotspots – 14 of the top 20 in total – are located in villages on the outskirts.
But property prices across the area in general remain healthy, with the vast majority of the top 50 roads boasting an average house value of over £1million.
Many of these addresses are proving so popular with the current residents that there have been very few property sales in recent years.
So, to compile the countdown, we’ve consulted the Zed Index, an estimate system put together by online property site Zoopla.co.uk. Taking a variety of environmental and market factors into account, along with recent sold prices, the Index calculates a current average property value for each road.*
We searched across the four postcode prefixes that cover Tunbridge Wells and the surrounding area – TN1, TN2, TN3 and TN4 – to bring you the roads with the highest price tags.
1. HOLLYSHAW CLOSE, CAMDEN PARK, TUNBRIDGE WELLS TN2
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £3,033,000
With no property sales in recent years, it’s clear that our number one road is a big hit with residents, making it very exclusive. There are just a handful of detached houses, arranged along a tranquil close adjacent to the picturesque – and almost as exclusive – Camden Park, so it’s easy to see the appeal.
2. THE CROSSWAY, NEVILL PARK, TUNBRIDGE WELLS TN4
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £2,271,000
Of the two property sales made in this road during the last 10 years, both were around the £2million mark, making this the town’s second most desirable address. Overlooking the greenery of Nevill Park, The Crossway is located roughly halfway between The Pantiles and Langton Green, offering quick and easy access to the town’s most famous landmark.
3. CALVERLEY PARK, TUNBRIDGE WELLS TN1
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £2,127,000
According to Zed Index estimates, a property bought here five years ago will have seen its value increase by around 30%. Skirting the north and east sides of attractive Calverley Grounds, this sought-after road is within a short walking distance of the town centre and the railway station.
4. BARDEN ROAD, SPELDHURST TN3
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £2,050,000
Leading north out of Speldhurst, Barden Road boasts some impressive rural properties in a beautiful spot. Residents here can enjoy the peace of country life, while being just minutes away from the amenities of the village.
5. THE MIDWAY, NEVILL COURT, TUNBRIDGE WELLS TN4
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £1,923,000
Like its neighbour, The Crossway, this road enjoys an enviable spot adjacent to Nevill Park. Similarly, only three residents have parted with properties here in the last decade. With fields all around and Tunbridge Wells Golf Club not far away, this is an understandably sought-after spot.
6. BELLS YEW GREEN ROAD, FRANT TN3
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £1,837,000
There have been only three property sales in the last 16 years on this road, which leads from Frant to its namesake village. With a choice of two pretty villages to visit and Frant railway station nearby, this road would be a good choice for a commuter looking for a rural retreat.
7. HOLMEWOOD RIDGE, LANGTON GREEN TN3
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £1,624,000
This road has seen a flurry of property sales in the last two years, almost all of which have changed hands for well over £1million. Divided from the bulk of the village by the A264 Langton Road, this street is only about half a mile from the independent Holmewood House School.
8. SELBOURNE PARK, FRANT TN3
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £1,603,000
Set in a truly idyllic location on the fringe of the village, Sellbourne Park is a circular cul-de-sac just a short walk from the High Street. It’s probably no coincidence that this address is just a couple of hundred yards away from number six on our list, Bells Yew Green Road.
9. WADHURST ROAD, FRANT TN3
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £1,517,000
Frant claims its third entry on our countdown with Wadhurst Road, which is further out than the others, to the south of the village. With a music school and a stables on the same road, children who are lucky enough to live here will not be short of hobbies.
10. FLORANCE LANE, GROOMBRIDGE TN3
AVERAGE HOUSE VALUE £1,506,000
The village of Groombridge, south west of Tunbridge Wells, rounds out our top 10. This is another address where residents are keen to stay – there have been only three property sales in the last five years. According to Zed Index estimates, those who’ve invested here will have seen their property’s value increase significantly since purchase.
THOSE THAT DIDN’T QUITE MAKE OUR TOP TEN (AVERAGE HOUSE VALUES):
11. Franks Hollow Road, Tunbridge Wells TN3 – £1,480,000
12. Hoghole Lane, Lamberhurst TN3 – £1,424,000
13. Langton Ridge, Langton Green TN3 – £1,411,000
14. Rosecroft Park, Farnham Lane, Langton Green TN3 – £1,408,000
15. Broom Park, Broom Lane, Langton Green TN3 – £1,399,000
16. Old House Lane, Fordcombe TN3 – £1,393,000
17. Broom Lane, Langton Green TN3 – £1,383,000
18. Ewehurst Lane, Speldhurst TN3 – £1,383,000
19. Blatchington Road, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,374,000
20. Clay Hill Road, Lamberhurst TN3 – £1,350,000
21. Benhall Mill Road, Tunbridge Wells TN3 – £1,338,000
22. Nevill Park, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,310,000
23. Camden Park, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,310,000
24. Decimus Place, Tunbridge Wells TN1 – £1,293,000
25. Hungershall Park, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,290,000
26. Richmond Place, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,278,000
27. Rusthall Place, Langton Road, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,256,000
28. Hurstwood Park, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,239,000
29. Blackhurst Lane, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,215,000
30. Broomhill Road, Tunbridge Wells TN3 – £1,198,000
31. Etherington Hill, Tunbridge Wells TN3 – £1,184,000
32. Lake Road, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,170,000
33. Nevill Gate, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,163,000
34. Upper Cumberland Walk, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,161,000
35. Ospringe Place, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,140,000
36. Post Office Square, London Road, Tunbridge Wells TN1 – £1,127,000
37. The Common, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,085,000
38. Darnley Drive, Bidborough TN4 – £1,070,000
39. Eden Road, Tunbridge Wells TN1 – £1,061,000
40. Marlborough Close, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,034,000
41. Major Yorks Road, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £1,029,000
42. Dundale Road, Tunbridge Wells TN3 – £1,007,000
43. St Marks Road, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £1,006,000
44. Cumberland Walk, Tunbridge Wells TN1 – £975,000
45. Camden Hill, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £973,000
46. St Lawrence Avenue, Bidborough TN4 – £972,000
47. Manor Park, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £965,000
48. Royal Chase, Tunbridge Wells TN4 – £957,000
49. Regent Place, Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells TN2 – £946,000
50. Calverley Park Crescent, Tunbridge Wells TN1 – £941,000
WHAT IS THE ZED INDEX?*
Zoopla.co.uk’s algorithim uses a variety of factors to work out a property’s current Zed Index value, with a combination of publicly available data and their own industry research. These include: previous sold prices and nearby transactions; size, characteristics and similarities to other properties in the area; asking prices for similar properties nearby and changes in their market value.
Figures are correct at the time of writing.