Tunbridge Wells 30 Hertford 32

IMMACULATE LINE Ryan Taylor-Dennehy picked his moment PHOTO: Bruce Elliott

AFTER three wins on the bounce Wells played host to Hertford in what proved another entertaining encounter.

Hertford counter-attacked from a turnover and went the length of the field to score under the posts through centre Richard Streets after just two minutes, Sean Taylor converting.

After conceding a penalty, Wells responded through the industry of player coach Dave Allen and after 18 minutes Mac Popham dived over.

Ryan Taylor-Dennehy, standing in at fly-half for the injured Frank Reynolds, added the extras.

A penalty slotted by each side left the score at 13-10 to the visitors at half-time. Taylor-Dennehy added another kick on 50 minutes to draw level.

Hertford enjoyed a 10-minute spell when they opened up what appeared to be an unassailable lead as the home defensive line went missing.

On 58 minutes Hertford centre Aaron Lowe took advantage of a three-man overlap on the left with Taylor kicking the goal points.

Four minutes later the away team got around the back of the Wells line again with fly-half Ben Lloyd scoring an unconverted try.

Taylor rounded off a three-try assault on 67 minutes with a mazy run to the posts and a conversion of his own try to take the score to 13-32.

But this Wells side never lies down and No 8 Nick Doherty surged through the middle to dive over on 72 minutes.

Spurred on further by a yellow card for the visitors, centre Shadyn Osgood charged down the right touchline and put in a perfect reverse pass to Ollie Allman, who dived over in the corner to make it 23-32.

A win suddenly looked possible and on 82 minutes Nick Doherty rounded off good team handling effort to dive over under the posts for his second score.

Taylor-Dennehy added the conversion to reduce the deficit to two points, but Wells had to settle for a try bonus for the sixth time this season.

A losing bonus point for being within seven points allowed them to retain sixth place in the London & South-East Premier while Hertford stayed in fourth.

On Saturday [November 4] Tunbridge Wells travel to Dorking when they hope to have stand-off Reynolds back in action [kick-off 3pm].